The best places in India for master degree in maths are as below:
- Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) admits through admission test in end of may. BTech students are eligible. Application for Admission test starts in mid March. Admission test will be real challenge 🙂
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) admits through JAM Exam ( From 2016, only through JAM and not followed by Interview ). B Tech student are eligible
- The Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai admits through NBHM and followed by interview. Only BSc students are eligible as on 2016.
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) through admission test followed by interview. B Tech students are eligible
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Institute (TIFR) through admission test. followed by interview. B Tech students are allowed. Main centre is in Bombay, while a branch for applicable Mathematics is in Bangalore.
- Harish-Chandra research institute (HRI) through NBHM exam followed by interview
And some more…
- IITs admits though JAM Exam. B Tech students are eligible
- Most NITs admits through JAM Exam.
Few NITs allow B Tech students. Admission process for NITs is through CCMN (Centralized counselling for MSc admission to NITs and CFTI)Now a days they are not alowing.
In above institute (except IITs ,NITs) students are paid amount ranging from 6000 to 28000 per month and in coming year it may increase. By qualifying NBHM, MSc students can get amount 6000 per month for two years of their MSc. Thus NBHM is a good source of money for those student who are not getting any amount from their institute.
How should I prepare for these Exams:
Some tests ask only calculus, analysis and algebra while some includes graph theory and basic topology also… Syllabus and previous year papers of each test will help you.
Books to read :
- Real Analysis :
Calculus by Apostol – Volume 1 and 2. Indian version is available on Flipkart.
Principle of Mathematical Analysis By Walter Rudin This book is queen of Analysis.Try to solve at least 50% problem from exercise. Read this review and fall in love with Walter Rudin 🙂 Personally I love This book.
- Abstract Algebra:
Algebra by Michael Artin
Contemporary Abstract algebra by Joseph A. Gallian
Undergraduate algebra by Serge Lang
Abstract Algebra by Dummit and foote. Starting few chapters only required for above tests
Topics in Algebra by I N Herstein
- Linear algebra:
Algebra by Michael Artin
Linear algebra done right by Sheldon Axler
Linear Algebra by hoffman and kunze
Topology by James Munkres
Introduction to topology and modern analysis by G F Simmons
General Topology by john kelly
JAM exam asks Vector calculus, Differential calculus, Integral calculus, Deferential equation etc…Visit this page For syllabus of JAM-Ma exam and Books
I personally believe in self preparation and no coaching.
Some important links…
Here you will find PDF of above books.
IIT – Jam exam http://www.iitg.ac.in/jam2015/ http://jam.iitm.ac.in/jam2016/
Ccmn counseling 2015 http://www.ccmn.in/
Also visit below link where you will find some important links